THE HISTORIC TOWN OF PALAMÓS
The fabric of Palamós is based around the historic town centre, the area of industrial expansion, the town of Sant Joan, the coast and the surrounding homesteads. The old town of Palamós has its origins in the settlement built inside the walls where the inhabitants used to live, fearful of attacks by land and sea either by pirates or through military disputes.
Church of Santa Maria del Mar:
The parish church originated as in a chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The chapel was built in 1334, as part of the parish of Santa Eugènia of Vila-romà, it was expanded in 1371 and it became an independent parish in 1428. Construction of the current building started in 1434, when the more recently constructed part was demolished because of a lack of space. In 1521 the second stage of construction began, adding the last two side chapels, the choir, the vestibule, the south and east doors and the bell tower. This large structure in the late Gothic style faces north and has rendered walls. The bell tower has a square floor-plan, with a modern pyramid-shaped top (this particular structure is because the old “torre del Consell” from the 14th century was integrated into it). The reredos behind the main altar is also worth mentioning as, despite being partly destroyed during the Spanish Civil War, it preserves two original elements from the late 16th century: the base from 1580, made by the master sculptor Joan Ballester, and seven paintings by the Renaissance painter Isaac Hermes Vermey from Utrecht who was the court painter of Lluís de Requesens, the governor of Milan.
Chapel of Our Lady of Mount Carmel (Capella del Carme):
On 31 May 1761 Miquel Costa left his house and some land to build a hospital and a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel. He also donated an image of the Virgin and the objects of worship. Seven years later, the church opened. In 1938 the building caught fire.
All that now remains is the old hospital’s chapel, which was renovated in the 21st century, converting it into a cultural facility, an entrance into local heritage and the Ezequiel Torroella art space.
The cemetery opened in 1897 on a headland close to the built-up area. It has a trapezoidal shape and has a gate below a semi-circular arch above which is a triangular pediment, crowned by an iron cross. Inside, there are various sections, the first of which contains a number of tombs and pantheons of artistic interest. The cemetery’s chapel, the chapel of Sant Crist, which is in the neo-Gothic style, is located at the back. The gate cross has been located at the entrance to the cemetery since 1904. This is a boundary cross from 1593 which used to be in the Plaça dels Arbres.
Augustinian Monastery (Convent dels Agustins)
The monastery of Palamós has its origins in a chapel built before 1509 and dedicated to Our Lady of Grace, located in Paratge de sa Punta. The titular Mother of God and the chapel itself soon became a centre of devotion much loved by the people of Palamós. The site suffered the effects of the sack of the town by Barbarossa in 1543.
Once normality had returned after this disaster, it was restored with work being completed in 1561. The town of Palamós requested the foundation of the Augustinian monastery, which took place in 1568. The church was immediately adapted to its new function by building the necessary extra structures and extending it. The cloister was completed in 1577.
The monastery enjoyed great prosperity during the 17th century, until it was destroyed during the siege by French troops in 1695. Some years later, between 1772 and 1791, it was rebuilt on the site of the hospital for the poor. With the confiscation of ecclesiastical goods it passed into municipal ownership. Later on it became a school but shortly afterwards was leased out to be used as a cork factory. It was eventually demolished in 1991. Some of the elements recovered have been installed in the Parc del Pedró as monuments: the portal, with the coat of arms of the counts of Palamós, part of the cloister and the rose window.
The Cannon of Palamós (c/del Canó):
The famous cannon, which was immortalised in a well-known habanera by Ortega Monasterio and is commemorated with a plaque in Carrer del Canó itself, is an artillery piece from the 18th century that might have come from a large ship or could have been a coastal defence piece. It was probably part of the defences of Palamós and was thrown into the sea during the Peninsular War to render it useless. It has been on this site since 1963. The cannon is 3.10 metres long, has a diameter of 55 centimetres at the breech and weighs almost two tonnes. It is of the “24” type, according to the marks stamped on it, which can no longer be read. This means it fired iron balls weighing 24 pounds
The lighthouse (El Far):
The lighthouse is 25 metres from the sea on a rocky headland called the Punta del Molí. This headland used to protect the natural harbour of Palamós from the east and north-east winds. The lighthouse faces south. It entered service on 1 September 1865 and has a different form to the other lighthouses on the Costa Brava, being small with a hexagonal tower crowned by a grey dome. Its position in a built up area meant that in 1917, with the arrival of the electricity supply to Palamós, it became one of the first electrified lighthouses in Spain.
In 1975 a major renovation of the structure was carried out as a result of serious cracks in the old building, caused largely by the bombardments it suffered during the Spanish Civil War and especially as a consequence of the extraction of stone from a nearby quarry.
Neighbourhood of el Pedró (Barri del Pedró):
The town of Palamós was founded on a 12 metre tall promontory (el Pedró). Despite the expansion in the industrial era and the subsequent changes to it, the neighbourhood of el Pedró preserves the urban layout of the original medieval centre with its steep, narrow streets, located on the promontory and dominated by the parish church. As the writer Josep Pla said, Palamós’s position facing west over the bay means that from its streets and viewpoints you can see magnificent sunsets over the sea and the mountains that surround it.
The current expansion – or eixample – of Palamós, located in the beach area, was known as El Arenal at the start of the 20th century and later on in the 1960s as the Barri de la Platja (beach district). It was built towards the end of the 19th century in response to the demands of the cork industry and to the construction of the railway between Palamós and Girona.
Several interesting houses and factories are preserved with some modernist and earlier details, but the neighbourhood has changed considerably. Spacious blocks developed that were large enough to cover the needs of industrial facilities and allow the construction of housing for workers. Overlooking the sea running along the beach is the broad promenade, planned in the second decade of the twentieth century.
Old town of Sant Joan
The old layout of the town of Sant Joan starts with the neighbourhood of peasant farmers’ houses and artisans’ dwellings surrounding the church square. Sant Joan de Palamós became part of the municipality in 1942.
Church of Santa Eugènia of Vila-romà:
This is the church of the old municipality of Sant Joan de Palamós. Founded in the 11th century, it belonged to the Benedictine monastery of Sant Feliu de Guíxols, which may have founded the parish here, separating it from the parish of Sant Mateu of Vall-llobrega. There are records of it as the chapel of Sant Joan from 1314 and it was the parish church of both towns until 1429.
In 1543, the town and church were sacked by Barbarossa’s Turks, when they set fire to it and stole the bells. After this, some repair work was done, but this was not enough and in 1765 the current building was started, following the plans of the Capuchin monk Joan Ranter. The date 1778 is inscribed on the portal on the façade but work actually continued until 1810.
Cemetery of Sant Joan:
The first cemetery of Sant Joan de Palamós was located next to the church of Santa Eugènia of Vila-romà. At the start of the 20th century, a new cemetery was opened on the edge of the built-up area as a result of lack of space. In 1907, a piece of land in the area of la Fosca was bought. Construction was delayed owing to a number of problems and economic difficulties, and it finally opened in 1911.
It has a simple chapel, designed by the master of works Salvi Palau Esteve. In 2017, a sculptural group by the artist from Palamós Tània Font, dedicated to the victims of the Nazis, especially the nine people from the municipality who were deported to the concentration camps, was installed here.
Church of Santa Maria of la Fosca:
A chapel built in 1946, promoted by the families who formed the first summer colony. It was blessed by the rector of Sant Joan de Palamós, Monsignor Gaspar Coll, on 7 April 1947. It is hard to find as it is hidden among modern buildings and the trees that surround it. This building was inspired by popular religious architecture, and in it you can see the chancel with the altar, designed by the artist Narcís Comadira in 1968.
The bridge was built in 1878 by the company of Gustave Eiffel for the city of Girona, along with seven other metal bridges as a result of the railway line reaching the capital of the province. It originally crossed the river Güell, providing access to Girona in front of the Devesa park, and was called the “pont del rellotge” (clock bridge). It 1961, it was dismantled and removed from this position as a result of the widening of the route in the area where it was located.
A few years later it was purchased by the promoters of the Paratge Balitrà development to facilitate connections between Palamós and that area. It was installed over the Aubi river in 1968 and was opened on the day of the Festa Major celebrating the town’s patron saint in 1969.
Casa de la Vila:
The Casa de la Vila has been located here since the 17th century, on a site that included three public ovens and a fountain. The remodelling of the main part, which faces onto Carrer Major, was funded by Josep Mauri i Vilar and designed by the engineer from Palamós Zoilo Costart, in 1906. The building, which is in the eclectic style, has a large opening with three holes on the main floor, which gives access to the balcony, with a pediment featuring the town’s coat of arms. The windows on the ground floor are the result of a modern remodelling.
Inside, there is a painting by Josep Maria Sert, from 1935, which is called La República dels Pescadors (The Republic of the Fishermen). It was modified by the artist after the Spanish Civil War to adapt it to the new times, removing the Republican flag. There is also a bas-relief by Miquel Blay.
Passeig del Mar:
The Passeig del Mar is a symbol for the people of Palamós. This broad promenade overlooking the sea, parallel to the beach, stretches from Plaça Murada in front of the old town all the way to the municipality of Sant Antoni de Calonge. An uninterrupted balustrade with stairs that provide access to the sand and semicircular viewpoints, separates the beach from the buildings located on the seafront. The central unpaved section features a double line of banana plants.
It was designed and built by the engineer from Palamós Zoilo Costart from 1904 at the behest of a number of property owners on the seafront who donated the land and paid for the works as far as Carrer de l’Alba. In contrast, the council provided seven benches and eight lampposts. However, its current appearance is the result of a project by the same engineer ten years later. It has since been extended and modified many times, especially in the 1960s and 1990s.
Along the promenade you can find a sculpture by the artist Joan Abras, from Bisbal, with figures dedicated to the world of fishing. There are also numerous monoliths dedicated to different fields of work of the people of Palamós. In addition, there are two play areas for children, an area for playing basketball, an area for pétanque and two drinking fountains.
La Gorga theatre:
On Monday 13 February 1899 on the eve of Carnival, the Sociedad Recreativa Centro Económico (Economic centre recreational society) inaugurated the building that now houses the La Gorga cultural centre.
For 121 years, the life of this facility has been linked to the cultural life of the people of Palamós. First, with the Sociedad Recreativa Centro Económico, there was a period with concerts and dances in the lower room and a library upstairs where exhibitions, conferences, small concerts and theatrical works were held. This was where people would meet for debates, especially anarchists and Republicans and other intellectuals from the town.
Later on, the ground floor was converted into a cinema. Subsequently, the upstairs became the Municipal Cultural Centre, housing Palamós’s public library as well as some radio studios, first with Voz de la Costa Brava and then Ràdio Estudiantil, the origin of the current Ràdio Palamós.
In 1996 the most recent stage began, after a long renovation that equipped it as we find it now, with a theatre-auditorium, a multi-purpose room and the offices of the council’s Culture Area.
Cloister of Mas del Vent:
Mas del Vent, originally called Mas Brugarol, is a farmhouse located in the neighbourhood of la Fosca in Palamós. The current building, which was reconstructed in the 16th century and modified in the 18th, is the result of a restoration carried out by the prestigious RCR architects’ studio, and is listed on the Inventory of the Architectural Heritage of Catalonia. It preserves the 16th century defensive tower (there is a door dated 1585) which is circular and has a gently sloped top.
In the 1950s, Hans Engelhorn acquired the cloister installed in the garden from an antiquarian in Madrid, but in recent years there has been an intense academic debate about its authenticity. Some specialists consider it to be Romanesque while others believe it is from the 20th century. There are also interesting sculptures by Xavier Medina-Campeny and Xavier Escribá here.
La Barraca d’en Dalí:
Close to Mas Juny, an estate in the Platja de Castell area, is a small stone structure known as the “barraca d’en Dalí”.
In 1940, Alberto Puig acquired Mas Juny and had a cabin-studio built in an isolated location in the grounds for his friend Salvador Dalí so that he could work there. Dalí went there on several occasions but it is not likely that he used it as a workshop.
The sloping door that makes this stone structure so distinctive was inspired by a watercolour Dalí painted in 1948
Ruiz Giménez school air raid shelter:
There is evidence that 22 air raid shelters of varying sizes and complexity were built or fitted out in in Palamós during the Spanish Civil War.
The Ruiz Giménez school, or Escola de La Vila, was designed by Rafael Sánchez Echevarría. Construction began in 1931 and it opened in 1933. The building, which is large and has a symmetrical structure, is in the Classicist style of twentieth-century public schools. The girls’ school was at the right of the building and the boys’ school was at the left. During the Civil War, an air raid shelter was built in the school’s playground. This was actually the first shelter built in the town of Palamós. It is now preserved in good condition, and is a key piece in the historical memory for understanding the effects of the Civil War in our region.
THE PORT AND FISHING
The area surrounding Palamós was bought by King Pere II in 1277, who wanted to possess a strategic position north of Barcelona in the struggle for expansion and dominance taking place around the Mediterranean.
In 1279 the king issued a town charter and franchise for all of those who wished to live in the place known as “Palamors”.
Nowadays the port of Palamós is one of the main seaports in the province of Girona, and has a commercial dimension alongside fisheries, tourism and culture.
The Fishing Museum
At Palamós, Man’s work at sea has become an unrivalled spectacle of colour for visitors, when, in the middle of the afternoon, the fishing boats dock at the port and unload their catch.
At Palamós, however, the world of fishing does not end at the quay – it continues at the Fishing Museum. With its focus on fishing, the museum is unique in the Mediterranean. The museum presents the past, present and future of fishing by means of a permanent exhibition and programme of activities associated with fishing and the sea along the Costa Brava.
The Museum is complemented by the “Barques del Peix”, a real floating museum with visitable boats.
L’Espai del Peix:
‘L’Espai del Peix’, a gastronomic experience that forms part of the Fishing Museum where you can learn how to identify, prepare and cook fish, from the point of view of traditional seafood cuisine. There are courses, show-cooking, workshops and tastings of typical fish dishes.
The Llotja and the fish market
The llotja is the site in the fishing port where the catch of the day is auctioned. The Guild of Fishermen of Palamós https://confraria.cat organises the daily fish auction and subsequently manages charging and payments of the amounts to clients (fish buyers) and suppliers (boats).
The Fishing Museum organises visits to view the daily fish auction in the llotja of Palamós and see how it works.
Opening hours: Friday afternoons from September to June / every afternoon in July and August.
More information: https://museudelapesca.org/activitats-museu-pesca.html
FISH MARKET this market at the llotja complements the Municipal Market and every afternoon the product landed by the boats in the Guild of Fishermen of Palamós is sold here between 16:00 and 20:00.
Maritime Palamós can be traced along the coastal path that leaves the main beach, climbs up to el Pedró and then heads east along the coast towards Cap Roig, stopping at Calella de Palafrugell. You can see the marina, the Morro del Vedell cove and the stairs to Platja Margarida at the foot of Cap Gros. The trail leads to Platja de la Fosca, a shallow beach facing south-east. The highlights up to Castell are:
The Castle of Sant Esteve de Mar
The castle of Sant Esteve is located between Platja de La Fosca and Cala S’Alguer, in a very scenic location on a cliff overlooking the sea.
Built on a Roman villa, the first mention of the castle of Sant Esteve is from 1063. In 1277, Peter II the Great bought it to defend the area around Palamors, where he founded a royal port for his ships and encouraged people to settle by granting privileges in a charter called Carta Pobla (1279).
Having lost its notoriety, it kept it military and look-out functions during the medieval and modern eras, as a point for controlling navigation and defending against pirates. Over time it became a farm dedicated to agricultural labours. In the 1930s, the Russian prince Alexis Mdivani bought it and started to restore it, but with his death this attempt came to an end and it was abandoned.
In 1949 it was declared a Cultural Asset of National Interest. In 2011 Palamós council became the owner of the castle of Sant Esteve and this was when work to conserve the structure began.
The Fishing Museum organises regular guided visits to the castle of Sant Esteve to explain the building’s origin, type, architecture and functions, as well as its role in the turbulent history of Palamós.
A small cove located between la Fosca and Platja de Castell, an urban miniature by the sea. The fishermen’s huts and cabins are of interest as examples of popular architecture (Cultural Asset of National Interest since 2004). This was a neighbourhood of fishermen’s huts as far back as the 15th century. These small white structures with Catalan vault ceilings and coloured doors provided shelter for fishermen and their fishing equipment.
S´Alguer comprises four different parts. Coming from the east, the first beach you come to is Cala Petita de S´Alguer or Cala Pellerida. Next is Cala de S´Alguer Gran or more correctly S’Alguer. After this, is the area of Barraca de la Cadena and finally Cala del Polvorí.
This is regarded as one of the most charming coves on all of the Costa Brava.
Paratge de Castell:
The Castell-Cap Roig natural space is a pure Mediterranean landscape. This 100-hectare coastal area of Mediterranean woodland between the municipalities of Palamós, Calella de Palafrugell and Mont-ras, is a setting of great scenic value where you can discover Dalí’s hut, Cala Estreta, Cala Corbs, Cala el Crit, the Iberian settlement of Sa Cobertera and the house of the famous painter Josep Maria Sert, among other sites. You can also enjoy many activities such as hiking, cycling, a kayak outing that makes it possible to visit the Illes Formigues, or a trip to the beach.
The Paratge de Castell was kept isolated and preserved in 1994 by a popular referendum, preventing development here. Its beach is regarded as the most unspoilt on the Costa Brava
Iberian settlement of Castell:
Between Platja de Castell and la Foradada is the promontory of Sa Cobertera, where Iberians settled between the 6th century BC and the 2nd century AD. The Iberian settlement of Castell became an important point on the trading routes that developed around the Greek city of Empúries. Its location on a small peninsula provided it inhabitants, the Indigets, with a high degree of control of the region. Its development adapted to the geography of the hill, as shown by different structures built with the aim of climbing and descending the slopes.
Initially comprising a few isolated cabins, its high point and period of maximum growth came towards the 4th and 3rd centuries BC, by which time it was a fortified enclosure with numerous dwellings located on stepped terraces and retaining walls following the slopes of the terrain. The entrance to the enclosure was flanked by two square free-standing towers. It had a large cistern and outside the walls there was a field of grain stores. There is also evidence of a temple located in the highest part of the settlement. After Ullastret, it is the most important Indiget settlement in the country.
The site, which has been declared a Cultural Asset of National Interest, was discovered in 1935 by Lluís Barceló i Bou and a variety of archaeological materials have been found in excavations, the most important of which is an inscribed lead sheet , which is the longest found in Catalonia.
Fishing museum: this organises regular guided visits to the castle of Sant Esteve to explain the building’s origin, type, architecture and functions, as well as its role in the turbulent history of Palamós.
Cala Estreta fishermen’s hut
From the point of the Castell headland, you can see the rugged coastline: Cala Senia, Cala Canyers with its fountain by the sea, Cala Corbs and Cala Estreta, all the way to Planes, which marks the beginning of the municipality of Mont-ras. In this last cove, an old fishermen’s hut, mentioned in a document from 1531 has been restored, although the current structure is from the 19th century. This is a traditional stone structure with a Catalan vault, sheltered from the north wind
The beautiful landscape is the combination of the plains surrounding the river Aubi, the Gavarres mountains and the Mediterranean sea.
The Gavarres mountains are an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and are representative of the northern Mediterranean coastal mountain ranges. They speak of the traditional way of life in the town with their characteristic vegetation of oaks trees and heather, along with the architectural elements that have defined the identity and character of this town for a thousand years.
If you follow the surrounding trails there are many things to see:
The castle of Vila-romà:
No specific details of the construction of the castle of Vila-romà are known. The structure of the building, as well as some rows of “stones shaped like spines”, the so-called “opus spicatum”, suggest that it was built in the 11th or perhaps the 12th century. However, no documentary reference to it is found until 1276. This records the purchase of the castle by Pere Castellnou, bishop of Girona, from Pere Alemany, who must have been the previous lord of the castle.
The only known modification to the castle took place appears to have taken place in the 15th century: another building, known as the Palace, was added along with a chapel dedicated to Saint Anthony. In 1514 the bishop Guillem Ramón de Boïl gave the castle to Joan Ribes as a farm. From this moment, the castle fell into decline and a state of ruin.
In 1812 it was destroyed by French troops. The castle is of recognised heritage value, as it has been declared a “Cultural Asset of National Interest”. It is also a distinctive monument, as it is one of the few castles in the les Gavarres Space of Natural Interest.
The church of Bell-lloc.
Santa Maria de Bell-lloc is located in the foothills of the Montagut, under the castle of Vila-romà. It was mentioned in 1273 in the will of Pere Alemany, lord of Vila-romà. It was reconstructed in 1758, along with the hermitage, after being left in a very poor condition following the wars with the French. Following the confiscation of ecclesiastical goods, it was acquired in the 19th century by Josep Molla, the owner of Mas Perearnau, which is located close to the chapel. The Molla family kept the property until in 1963 it was sold and now forms part of a hotel complex.
It is a shrine to the Virgin Mary that already existed in 1272. Saint Joseph Oriol had a benefice here in 1675. Its construction reflected devotion to the Virgin Mary and there is an annual pilgrimage to it resulting from the great plague of 1652; Palamós promised to celebrate this pilgrimage and a gathering in September in perpetuity.
The dolmen of Montagut:
Montagut is a 266 m-high mountain, which is between the municipalities of Palamós and Vall-llobrega in the protected space of Les Gavarres. The Dolmen de Montagut is located on the peak. This is the oldest archaeological element conserved in Palamós, and was built between 2700 and 2200 BC, between the Chalcolithic and Early Bronze Ages. It is also the first site with evidence of human settlements in the municipality. At present only three slabs from the chamber are preserved in their original state, positioned vertically, as well as the remains of what was once the mound that covered it. It was possibly a U-shaped Catalan vault.
Les Gavarres contain various megalithic monuments. These are mainly located on raised points dominating the surrounding landscape, as in the case of the dolmen of Montagut. This not only provided a panoramic view of the surroundings, but also meant that communication between the people at each monument would be possible, whether orally or visually. From the viewpoint a few metres from the dolmen you can enjoy magnificent views of Palamós and its surroundings
THE TOWN’S VIEWPOINTS
To get the best panoramic views of the town you have several options. Here are our suggestions:
The mountain of Palamós from which you can see all of the municipality. This mountain conserves some natural places that are of great beauty thanks to their flora and fauna and owing to the geological interest of their rock formations. It is a special viewpoint from which you can see the Formigues islands, Castell and all of la Fosca.
Cap Gros is a unique geographical setting: a 74 m-tall promontory that drops steeply into the sea and “looks like the back of a great elephant immersing itself in the sea with a heavy and good-natured air and a monstrous indifference”, in the words of the author Josep Pla.
The dolmen of Montagut:
Palamós’s oldest element of cultural heritage is preserved at the 268-metre peak of Montagut, the Montagut dolmen, dating from between the Chalcolithic and Early Bronze Ages. This is also an exceptional viewpoint that allows us to see a large stretch of the coastline including Palamós and its port, Sant Antoni de Calonge with all of the Calonge plain, Vall-llobrega, Mont-ras and a large number of developments.
The lighthouse viewpoint offers a view of the bay and views of les Gavarres and l’Ardenya. The best times to go are at sunset and around seven o’clock in the morning, when the boats go out to sea.
The lighthouse building is located 25 metres from the coastline on a rocky outcrop called the Punta del Molí. This outcrop used to protect the port of Palamós from east and north-east winds. The lighthouse faces south. The facility entered service on 1 September 1865. It has a different form to the lighthouses on the Costa Brava, small and with a hexagonal tower crowned with a grey dome. Its position in a built up area meant that in 1917 with the arrival of the electricity supply to Palamós, it became one of the first electrified lighthouses in Spain.
In 1975 a major renovation of the structure was carried out as a result of serious cracks in the old building, caused principally by the bombardments it suffered during the Spanish Civil War and, above all, as a consequence of the extraction of stone from a nearby quarry.
In the highest part of el Pedró, next to Passeig de les Pites, is the park of the Convent dels Agustins, which contains architectural pieces from the old 16th-century monastery. From this high point in the town, you can enjoy fine views of Cap Gros and the marina.
This is located on Puig del Molí de Vent, the interior of which is pierced by air raid shelters from the Spanish Civil War and which has a coastal battery on the peak. It provides a magnificent view of the plain of the Aubi river, with the town of Sant Joan de Palamós on its lower slopes.
Pineda d’en Gori:
The Pineda d’en Gori is a space situated between the coves of la Fosca and s’Alguer, among the perfume and shade of the pines, from which you can see the Formigues islands, Cala Pallarida and s’Alguer. Pure Mediterranean.
Plaça Murada is the natural viewpoint of the port and Platja Gran, from where you can see magnificent sunsets in the evening. Writers such as Josep Pla and Joan Gomis were great devotees of this place.
Nearby are the Casino stairs, which lead from Avinguda Onze de Setembre to Plaça Murada and were built in 1867. They were given this name because in 1855 the Casino La Unión was built in the square, becoming the place where Palamós’s bourgeoisie mixed.
La punta del Moll Nou:
Palamós’s original quay was built between the 16th and 18th centuries, with financial contributions by the Count of Palamós and the council. The boom in the cork industry and new steam ships with a greater draught inspired the remodelling of the commercial quay to protect the port, especially from storms from the south. Construction of the “moll nou” breakwater began in 1902.
This breakwater is a traditional place for walking, which leads to the beacon at the mouth of the port, designed by the architects Aranda, Pigem and Vilalta (RCR architects) in 1997. Under the beacon, you can watch the open sea, and observe the movements of the boats and the patience of the people fishing with rods.
Sa Cobertera or sa Corbatera de Castell:
The Iberian settlement is located on this promontory and from it you can see the unique landscape of the beach and the Castell plain, the last green area on the Costa Brava.
In front of sa Corbatera de Castell, a rocky monolith emerges from the sea called the Agulla de Castell and in the hidden narrow bay of sa Faixa Vermella is Sa Foradada de Castell, a large rocky outcrop with a natural tunnel at its base, which small boats can pass through.